Theresa 8/30
This is one of those letters to the whole family. It seems that is the only kind I can get sent right now. I keep thinking that my life will slow down at some point and that I’ll become an organized person but so far it hasn’t happened. I’m not sure why I am always so busy, maybe it is just a sign of disorganization.
The girls are all doing fine. Tana moved to Muncie, about four hours north of us and three hours south of Mama. She finally found a job as a paralegal and is happy to be back working at what she is trained for. We don’t get to see Tana & Nick much but I told her that she needs to call at least weekly so that I don’t worry about her. I have such a hard time not knowing how the girls are doing. She seems very happy there and hopes to start taking classes toward her Masters degree in creative writing after she is settled in the new place. We help her move a couple of weekends ago and then continue on up to see Mama, Cyndi, Tracey and Jim for a very short visit. It wasn’t nearly long enough but it was good to see them and everyone seemed to be happy. We were sad because Calvin didn’t get to travel with us this time. Tracey’s girls were also disappointed. They are used to him coming with us.
Angie enjoys her new hours, since she changed pharmacies. She now gets off at 5:00 or 7:00 at the latest and can be home to put Calvin to bed every night. She also never works past 4:00 on Saturdays and has all Sundays and Holidays off. She used to have to work until 9:00 weekdays, Saturday & Sunday every-other weekend, and most holidays. They only closed on Christmas. It works much better for her, Calvin and Nick because they get to have dinners together and get to do things on the weekends. (And no I didn’t make a typing error. Tana’s Nick is Nick B. And Angie’s is Nick H. That makes things very confusing when both are here at once). We don’t babysit Calvin much anymore and even though I know that is a good thing, I sure miss having the little guy around. Calvin really like to visit Nick’s parent’s farm to see the turkeys & pigs and he also enjoys riding on the four-wheeler with Nick or, when it is warm enough, swimming in the lake.
Stephanie is back at school. She really enjoyed her studies in Mexico this summer. She spent six weeks taking classes in Puerto Vallarta. She is starting her senior year and so far said this semester doesn’t seem too bad. She will have lots of papers to write but said most will be in English this year. Last year she had to write most of her papers in Spanish. One is her senior paper for Social Work. It has to be an independent study that hasn’t been done before. She is doing hers on cultural changes within Mexican families that have immigrated to the United States and more specifically, to southern Indiana. It will have to include at least 50 interviews with Mexican families. She will also start applying to graduate schools and looking to see which schools have programs that would include both her Masters in Social Work and the opportunity to apply it to her interest, working with Hispanic families. I can’t believe that my baby is going to be graduating from college this year.
Calvin is three now and he will be starting preschool in about two weeks. I love spending time with him and he is at such a lovable stage. Of course I think the best stage is always whichever stage he is at presently. He continues to be healthy and Strong and it is hard to believe that less than a year ago we were worried about whether or not he would live. We thank God daily for his good health. He is “all boy” and loves to watch the St. Louis Cardinals play baseball with his Dad (Nick) or Papa (Steve). He then likes to Call Stephanie and tell her that the Cardinals won (she is a Cubs fan). He looks like his mom and loves to tease and play, like his Papa.
Steve and I continue to work and really don’t have a lot of new activities. Music club will start in September and next week we will start helping Spanish speaking children with their homework on Wednesday evenings at the Guadalupe Center. They are going to have homework help for the students while their parents take English classes. It is hard for the parents to help with homework since they can’t speak or read the language. It will be challenging but I’m really looking forward to it. I don’t get to do much work with children now that I’m not working in the schools and I’m not directing the children’s music at church.
Well, this letter is just running on now and I don’t think I’m really saying much. I wish that we could come to each of your houses and just sit down and visit for an evening and really catch up on what is going on in each other’s life but since distance makes that impossible, just remember that I love you and think of you often. You are in my prayers and thoughts. May God bless you with all his goodness and keep you safe. Love and prayers, Theresa & Family

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home